Thursday, January 31, 2008

Movies

Our netflix is back and running after a long hiatis. We saw two movies that we recommend everyone see. The first was Michael Moore's Sicko. I am not a big michael Moore fan (that feller wants to takes my guns away) so it took a long time for this to come up on our queue, but damn... this is a movie that needs to be seen.

Gee...maybe life and death/quality of life health decisions shouldnt be made by companies whose goal (making money) is dimetrically opposed to providing care to the people (spending money). I must confess I never really thought about it, but it is a freaking no brainer. I guess that was the point, and they got me hook, line and sinker; so much so that this movie has opened up the possibility of Roxanne and I emmigrating... Seriously (okay not that seriously) but Roxanne may bone up on her french just in case. Regardless, see the movie, it is enlightening at least.

Secondly, we got a documentary about a crazy yachtist, Deep Water; turns out he didnt start out crazy. This movie cronicles his decent. I only put it on our queue because it was highly recommended by the onion AV club. RENT THIS MOVIE! Have you ever told a lie and had it spiral out of control? I dont mean in the 3's company sense where Mr Roper is about to come over and find that Jack Tripper has a girlfriend over. Well, the guy in this documentary did, and it is one of the most interesting, sad, thought provoking stories I have ever heard. I dont want to give away anymore, it is best to watch it without doing too much digging into what it is about. It is like a real life "heart of darkness" tale on the open ocean. A must see.

word

jb

5 comments:

dwstaple said...

I couldn't agree more about Sicko. People can question Moore's motivation or the way he distorts facts, but you can't take away the fact that our system makes no sense. I guess I won't go off on a huge diatribe, but moving to another country was my first reaction to the movie as well. America stinks!

I just put Deep Water on our queue. Thanks for the tip.

Roxanne said...

Let me know what you think about Deep Water, I know you liked the Shackleton documentary, this is a lot like it, but just one guy digging himself deeper and deeper.

dwstaple said...

Shackleton was no documentary. It was pure cinematic gold.

Roxanne said...

What do you mean "not seriously"? I've enrolled us in a French class that starts tomorrow! rx

chris said...

thanks for the movie tips. I am netflix-friending you asap.