Friday, June 26, 2009

Mother's Log

Stardate June 26, 2009 .... we have been 4 months on board the Starship Pooperprise and there are a few things I've learned. Those of you soon to be parents (M&J, N&J) and those of you SHOULD be soon to be parents (M&C, R&R, C&O, D&M, L&D....hint hint!) should pay attention. Also, we welcome comments from our already parent friends (G&C)(H&D). Are we all straight now as to whom should be doing what?


OK


1. Get a freakin bouncy chair - these things are awesome for putting the newborn to sleep. Swaddle them and bounce em! You'll feel like you're on the verge of shaken baby syndrome but they freakin' love and it shut up and go to sleep almost immediately.


2. The swing, the swing....yes, when you are tired of swaying back and forth for hours on end and you can't sing any more because your throat is hoarse....the swing will save your life. Evie didn't have one as a newborn - that was bouncy chair time. but we got a loaner from a friend here in austin and it's been a lifesaver. It plays like the same freakin song over and over again, though, so i'm slowly going insane. but hey, i figure that's going to happen anyway.


3. Daddies really are good for something! Yes, ladies, you'll feel like you're going to shoulder the burden. But guess what! If daddy rocks the baby to sleep then they actually learn to fall asleep without thinking they've got to eat first. Any time I have her in my arms and she is fussy and can't sleep, nursing is the only thing that calms her down. She SMELLS the boob. But, since Jack has been helping at least 50% of the time (if not more - he IS a great daddy) she has learned to be rocked to sleep without the help of milkalepsi. It's a good thing and I think will train her for the future.


4. Poop-plosions - the first couple of months I felt like I was changing a poopy diaper every couple hours, if not more. But the one of the advantages of breastfeeding is that, after a while, they start only pooping once or twice a day. The only problem is, it's like Old Faithful in it's enormity. It gets everywhere! and it's bright yellow or green, like a curry. We were literally eating curry last night and she had a poonami in the middle of dinner. We both had to help get it cleaned up and then went back to dinner thinking....hmmmm, I think I'm done eating for now. It's also super runny. The doctor has mentioned watching for diarrhea, but I wouldn't know the difference at this point. I have yet to find a diaper that can hold her....." she can't take any more captain!"


Mommy hint - yes i'm getting to the point here - IMMEDIATELY rinse with cold water, Shout it out, and wash....do not wait or you'll have no clothes to pass on to your friends with babies!


5. Daycare = sickness



Ah! I can't think of any more right now. I'm watching Weeds and relaxin'. But there will be more Log Installments in the future as I think of things.


Oh, and all you should be parents should know that I'm just messing with you - i waited until i was 35 and certainly am not one to pressure anyone else!!


That smile makes it all worth it!!



5 comments:

jess&nick said...

J&R,
Thanks for the advice. Man, i can't wait for diaper times!

Gabby and Chris said...

This reminds me I should get back to my blog to update. The only thing I have to say is the swing and bouncy thingy are baby dependent. They help us, but don't save our sanity, but the shaking the baby helps a lot. No, I am joking at I just noticed I used BUT twice in a sentence. Okay I am done rambling all my thoughts :)

Gabby and Chris said...

Oh and I totally agree she is worth all the dirty diapers and fussiness. And I am not looking fwd to daycare=sick.

Rachel and Russell said...

hilarious. other than the poopnamis it sounds pretty good.

marta said...

keep these logs coming, roxanne.