Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Obey the phone!!


When some moron calling a Holiday Inn can get this kind of response from both employees and guests, it makes you wonder the kinds of misuse of power people actually in authority can get away with... Remember if someone in "authority" calls you.. obey the phone, set all critical thinking aside and OBEY THE PHONE!
If you don't already know about the Milgram Experiment, I would recommend checking it out. It is quite enlightening as to how good people can allow horrible (or in this case ridiculous) things to happen because they don't think for themselves, and they submit to authority at a whim. Another related experiment is the ill fated Stanford Prison Experiment. The prior link is quite detailed, but here is the wiki summary link.

1 comment:

JB said...

I like this quote from a former participant in the Milgram Experiment: "While I was a subject in 1964, though I believed that I was hurting someone, I was totally unaware of why I was doing so. Few people ever realize when they are acting according to their own beliefs and when they are meekly submitting to authority… To permit myself to be drafted with the understanding that I am submitting to authority's demand to do something very wrong would make me frightened of myself… I am fully prepared to go to jail if I am not granted Conscientious Objector status. Indeed, it is the only course I could take to be faithful to what I believe. My only hope is that members of my board act equally according to their conscience…"

wow... there is a reason why everyone should know about these experiments.